Community Pharmacy (PGY1)
Balls Foods Kansas City
This community-based pharmacy residency develops change agents who successfully integrate patient centered care into today’s pharmacy practice. Program graduates will develop the necessary skills and motivation to create and manage sustainable patient care programs as well as educate patients, other health care providers, and future practitioners. Program graduates will demonstrate commitment to the profession by acting as innovative practice leaders in their communities.
Residency Program Purpose Statement
This residency program builds upon the doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) education and outcomes to develop community-based pharmacist practitioners with diverse patient care, leadership, and education skills who are eligible to pursue advanced training opportunities including postgraduate year two (PGY2) residencies and professional certifications.
Price Chopper Pharmacy – 7000 W 75th St in Overland Park, KS 66204
Hen House Pharmacy – 13600 S. Black Bob Rd in Olathe, KS 66062
- Diabetes Management
- Cardiovascular Disease Management
- Pharmacy Management – 6 week rotation
- Medication Therapy Management
- Practice Based Research
- Ambulatory Care Lipid Clinic
- Ambulatory Care Geriatrics Clinic
- Five paid vacation days per year
- Off work 7 major holidays per year
- Health/dental/vision/prescription insurance
- Full travel support to Cardinal Health’s Retail Business Conference
- Full travel support to ASHP Midyear Meeting
- Full travel support to Midwest Pharmacy Residency Conference
- Stipend for travel to APhA Annual Meeting
- Graduate of an ACPE accredited School of Pharmacy
- Eligible to take the NAPLEX by July 15
- Participation in the ASHP Match Program
- Submit application through PhORCAS
- Current CV
- Letter of intent
- College transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
Balls Food Stores Overview
Balls Food Stores operates 27 grocery stores (20 with pharmacies) all in the Kansas City metropolitan area under the Hen House and Price Chopper banners.
- Pharmacy Director: Mike Halliwell, R.Ph.
- Pharmacy Specialist: John Witt, Pharm.D.
- Residency Coordinator: Nikki Schwartze, Pharm.D., BCACP
- Residency Preceptors:
Emily Prohaska, Pharm.D., BCACP – Hen House
Katelyn Steele, Pharm.D., – Price Chopper
- Residency Director: Janelle Ruisinger, Pharm.D. – KU School of Pharmacy
Staffing Requirements: Each resident is required to staff an average of about 10 hours per week at their specific store for the duration of the residency - this includes weekday and weekend staffing commitments.
Janelle Ruisinger, Pharm.D.
Community Residency Director
3901 Rainbow Blvd, Mail Stop 4047
Kansas City, KS 66160